Monday, August 21, 2006

Brison Attacks Liberal Member for Leadership Race Gain

I'm sure that everybody here has heard about Thomas Hubert and the controversy surrounding him and his resignation. Apparently, Scott Brison sent a press release denoucing Hubert, thus starting this mess.

Now before I go on, let's look at the comments (Source, Cherniak)

From a comment on Cherniak's Blog:
The Liberal Party is stronger without these violent Zionists in our party. I am glad for them to cease influencing our foreign policy so we are free to promote Canadian values of peace. It amazes me that this community is so absurdly selfish. The only issue that matters to them is the defence of a "state" that survives on the blood of innocent people. Shameful.
And this comment from Fuddle-Duddle
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. At one point, George Washington was considered a terrorist by the powers that be. History will remember Hezbollah as an organization that stood up to the most vile "nation" in human history.
Now, I believe that one can be against the actions of the State of Israel and not be Anti-Semitic, as one can be against the actions of the State of China and not be Anti-Asian. At the same time, I do not support the actions of the terrorist group/political party Hezbollah. So I do believe that comments basically calling Israel a vampire state ("survives on the blood of innocent people"), calling Hezbollah freedom fighters (attacking one group's freedom for the sake of another is not freedom fighting), and calling Israel a vile nation are unacceptable comments to make. But I'll give Hubert a point in apologizing for his comments, something that people find hard to do.

What I'm not so sure about is the fact that Brison sent a very public press release regarding Hubert's comments. I believe that these comments should have been discussed with Hubert in a more private setting (example: On the phone, Big Liberal Dude says: "Thomas, please stop making those comments, it is damaging the party.") The way Brison did it, very publicly and embarrassingly, suggests to me that he did it for a gain in his leadership campaign.

And that is what I find shameful. Brison, the people you want to attack publicly are in the Conservative Party, not Liberal.

No comments: